Brushing your teeth on a regular basis is one of the best things you can do for your smile. Healthy teeth make a beautiful smile. At Timothy G. Mahoney DDS in Wetaskiwin, we urge our patients to brush and floss twice a day.
For some of us, brushing can be a nuisance that gets in the way of things we’d rather do. Hopefully you don’t think of brushing in such dire terms! The best way to build brushing into your routine is to make it a habit.
Here are some tips for making brushing your teeth a good habit:
- Keep It Simple. One of the best ways to create a habit is to keep the requirements simple. Brushing teeth is already a simple task, but we can focus on the simplicity to help it stick as a habit.
- Regular Timing. One of the cornerstones of a habit is routine. Routine is rooted in consistency. Choose two or three regular times to brush your teeth. Set a timer if you have to, but it’s best to create a habit around other regular activities. “First thing in the morning” or “after breakfast” are good. Make sure it is a daily activity.
- Stick To It. It takes a couple of weeks to create a habit. Soon enough, your brain will turn it over to auto-pilot and make it into a habit. If you can stick with a task for two weeks, you’ll be well on your way to creating a good habit.
- Improve It. Finally, any good habit needs constant improving. Work toward the two minute mark. You can also make sure you are using a soft or medium brush, and that you are using fluoride toothpaste.
- Start Today. There’s no time like the present! If you are having trouble with brushing, make a commitment to work on it starting now.
Once you have created a healthy habit around brushing your teeth, you’ll have plenty of reason to smile. You should also make regular checkups at Timothy G. Mahoney DDS in Wetaskiwin a habit! Our services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule your next appointment today!
Contact Timothy G. Mahoney DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):